for The Debates
- "This was the way to spend the nervous hours before voting began on Tuesday... Forthright, in-your-face, up-to-the-minute... Let's hope we don't have to wait four years and another embattled primary for a troupe like Theater in Asylum to visit Hartford again." - The Hartford Courant
- "Whether you’re a political junkie, a theater freak, or just kind of curious what all the fuss is about, the show is the perfect capsule of our surreal political culture..." - New York Magazine's Bedford and Bowery
- "Not only was The Debates—a play that amused and educated a full house at the Kraine Theater on the eve of the primary elections--about politics. It was politics." - NY City Lens
- "This touring show by Theater in Asylum had one of the most alluring premises of all the 2013 Fringe shows, and I’m happy to say it lived up to expectations... This is smart theater... genius... brisk, unyielding..." - Rochester City Newspaper
- "Rarely does one see a production in any theater that's performed with greater intensity and passion than Theater in Asylum's presentation of the complex friendship of Salvador Dalí and Federico García Lorca." - David Rade, Swan Isle Press
- "… director Paul Bedard smartly breathes fresh air into a classic … The physically rigorous choreographies by Katie Palmer were hypnotic and sexually provocative.” - Show Business Weekly
- "… wildly inventive maneuvers … impressively choreographed calisthenic dance fighting.” - Surreal Time Press
- "Though Bedard and company have taken a great number of risks in this stylized semi-update of Coriolanus, the result is well worthwhile.” - The L Magazine
Theater in Asylum (TIA) is a New York-based theater company founded in 2010 to challenge and empower our community. TIA joyfully pursues a rigorous research and an ensemble-driven approach to theater-making. We create performances to investigate our past, interpret our present, and imagine our future. We prize space to process, space to question—asylum—for ourselves and our community. Core programs include original productions; themed cabarets to present new work from our community; and Cold Readings to read and discuss published plays.
Copyright © 2021 THEATER IN ASYLUM. All rights reserved.