Theater in Asylum challenges and empowers our community through performance. Since founding in NYC in 2010, we have joyfully pursued rigorous research and an ensemble-driven approach to theater-making. We create performances to investigate our past, interpret our present, and imagine our future. We prize space to process, space to question—asylum—for ourselves and our community.
We envision a world where the theater is a haven for all to question and grow, where people can discover and try out new tools to wrestle with big ideas together.
- Community – We seek to foster a vibrant, diverse, and resilient community of artists and art-lovers who feel valued, included, and heard. We strive to prevent harm in all of our spaces, while acknowledging the systems of oppression that intersect and permeate our lives (including racism, sexism, classism, ableism, and others).
- Empathy – We believe art has a unique ability to innovate morality and provoke understanding.
- Challenge – We believe in the constant reexamination of our world’s judgments, binaries and preconceptions.
- Integrity – We believe in a strong commitment to – and respect for – our art, our audiences, our predecessors, and ourselves.
- Availability – We believe new audiences should be constantly welcomed and cultivated, while seasoned audiences constantly surprised.
- Artistry – We believe that quality art takes care, craft and magic.
- Transparency – We believe transparency enables the sharing of power and responsibility. We commit to be open with how Theater in Asylum decisions are made and money is spent.
Theater in Asylum (TIA) is a New York-based theater company founded in 2010 to challenge and empower our community. TIA joyfully pursues a rigorous research and an ensemble-driven approach to theater-making. We create performances to investigate our past, interpret our present, and imagine our future. We prize space to process, space to question—asylum—for ourselves and our community. Core programs include original productions; themed cabarets to present new work from our community; and Cold Readings to read and discuss published plays.
Copyright © 2021 THEATER IN ASYLUM. All rights reserved.